A letter to my Dad

In memory of Charles Kennith Dennis


Dear Dad,

It has been 12 years since your passing in 2007.  A lot has happened since your untimely passing. For a man with an 8th Grade education, you did a lot.   When I graduated High School in 1988, you made me promise that I would exceed all of the boys and that I was the first to do it. 

As a young boy, I did not understand how to go beyond my goals.  You were upset when I got married to my wife. You wanted me to wait to have kids but I gave birth to my daughter in 1988.  You stated that I would understand why I wanted to wait when I got older. Well, Dad, I do understand but I made up for that mistake, this year.  I got a Bachelor of Computer Science degree with a specialty in computer programming.

When you passed away, I came to realize that I needed to get my degree.  That is why I came up with a two-part plan. I am achieving part 2 of that dream in 2020.  My goal is to become a writer for the first time in my life. I have fixed the one problem that I already have and that is to write with no typos.  As a writer, it is important that I find a way to write without making mistakes. 
This would allow me to be able to write and come up with some compelling stories as a writer.  It would allow me to be able to fix certain issues. However, Dad, this is a part of a bigger plan as I approach my own retirement.  You wanted me to achieve something in my life. I wanted to walk down the aisle as part of an achievement this was the first part of the plan. 

The main reason why I did this is that I truly miss you and I really want to put a smile on my face.  The main reason is that I regret not being at your deathbed. Dad, I do not want to think of you as a man in pain.  I did not want to remember you as a man who was deathly ill. I wanted to think of you as a healthy person and I wanted to remember the things that made you happy. 
I wanted to think of you as what you were really were to me.  I wanted to think of you as a superhero. I wanted to think of you as a person who loved his kids and was willing to bend over backward in order to help them when they were in need.  I wanted to achieve the one wish that you could not achieve when you were alive. 

I understand why you missed Grandpa because despite his errors of fooling around with Grandma you still loved him because he was your dad.  You loved grandma because she was also your mom. You did everything for the two of them because they were your parents and you gave up a good education to achieve helping them because you loved them.  This is why you never got a GED in school. 
Now that I am an old man, myself.  I still want to achieve the one thing that you were never able to achieve.  My drive is to push myself too far beyond anything that I ever was able to achieve before.  My goal is to push myself to make you proud of me when I do have to leave this planet. 

My goal is to hold you in my arms and you whisper to me, “Well done, son.  I am so proud of you.” As I hold you in my arms, I want the tears to flow in your arms and say, “Thank you, Dad.  I love you. I did all of this for you.” It is the moment that I truly dream of doing and I want to make it real. I want to get out and make something of myself for the first time in my life.   This is in my heart and I want to do. This is the real reason why I did all of this. It was for you, dad.

I miss you like no other person.  I miss speaking with you on AOL Messenger.  I miss calling you on the phone and speaking to each other for hours on end.  I wish there was a way to speak to you. I wish there was a way to get your advice when things are rough.  Dad, I want to tell you that I truly love and miss you. 

Your Son,


Kenny

Comments

Popular Posts